6 replies to this topic

#1 black4966

black4966

Yes oh yes my name is Willy Lee

• Esteemed Post Whore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

Well, I was perusing the front page of the Austin American Statesman this morning, and what the fuck do I see right off the bat...

The Greaseman, syndicated radio shock jock, can't understand why Gov. Rick Perry isn't capitalizing on the rapidly expanding fame of his new catch phrase, "Adios, mofo."

A completely unscientific study conducted Thursday revealed that every radio personality in Texas has, over the past two days, worked "Adios, mofo," into their routines. Incessantly. Liberal radio host Al Franken took note of it on his Air America Radio show. Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" is aware of "Adios, mofo," but spokesman Steve Albani said he wasn't sure the governor will make the cut.

Perry's nicely coiffed head and his "Adios, mofo" line, uttered this week when he thought the TV cameras were off, are at the heart of a new product line at cafepress.com.

The offerings include an "Adios, Mofo"bib and infant creeper, an "Adios, Mofo" beer stein and an "Adios, Mofo" trucker cap, complete with a nicely ventilated back and Perry's puss on a white foam front.

Kelly Fero, an Austin-based Democratic strategist, has already jumped Perry's claim, plunking down $35 for the domain rights to adiosmofo.com. Much to the governor's chagrin, Fero once owned rickperry.com.

Right now, it seems Gov. Perry may be alone in refusing to profit from "Adios, mofo," and The Greaseman isn't sure why. The shtick-happy syndicated radio shock jock out of Washington, D.C., has been doing nicely with it for years. Although he has always insisted his well-worn sign-off, AMF, stands for "Adios, my friends," his fans know better.

"He's added a whole new meaning to AMF, and I'm happy for him," he said Thursday. "Our country would be better off being run by elected leaders who use the occasional profanity."

For those of you who have been vacationing in a catacomb somewhere, Perry said his goodbye Tuesday after an interview with a television reporter for KTRK-TV in Houston. The reporter had tried and failed to pry from the governor his plans for school finance reform. After the interview, the reporter said to Perry, "Try as I may, governor, I guess I can't win this one," according to a story posted on the Internet by the station.

"Try as I may governor," the governor said, mimicking the reporter, "I'm not going to wait that long. Adios, mofo." The videotape had never stopped running.

Within hours, Travis Fussell, a Dallas man who runs an online company selling custom-made golf putters, had arranged to sell "Adios, mofo" merchandise on the Internet. By Thursday afternoon, Fussell, who describes himself as politically conservative, said he had sold exactly 16 items, most of them T-shirts.

"No matter which side you're on, you've got to think this is hilarious," Fussell said. "It was the expression, those exact words, that hit me. I had to do something."

By Thursday, "Adios, mofo" ricocheted throughout the Internet galaxy, with links to the KTRK story. Conversations started and ended with it. A picketer Thursday at the Capitol carried a sign that read, "Mo Fo? Mo Money For Our Elderly."

While Perry's now notorious goodbye caused much snickering, it also created confusion among those who might have translated "adios" from the Spanish but did not know from where "mofo" comes.

Urbandictionary.com, a Web site where visitors can post their own definitions, gives the phrase from which "mofo" is derived and describes a "mofo" as "a person who thinks they are (all that), dressed down with sagging pants, too much gold to make the national reserve jealous and an attitude that stems from not having parents who knew how to refrain from the use of crack cocaine."

Perry, whose office did not respond Thursday to entreaties to comment on Fussell's new Perry Wear, has apologized to the TV reporter, but said that his so-long was directed at his very own deputy press secretary. The Greaseman said Perry needn't have bothered.

"He should just enjoy it," the Oily One said. "We're all way too uptight. I'd be honored to come to Texas and give the governor tips on the fine art of microphone handling."

:blink:

#2 ctiger14

ctiger14

From the Land of Pleasant Living

• Super DA Mod
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:19 PM

"He should just enjoy it," the Oily One said. "We're all way too uptight. I'd be honored to come to Texas and give the governor tips on the fine art of microphone handling."

Just grasping for a small sliver of a spotlight wherever he can get it.  The reporter calling him "The Oily One" is amusing though.

#3 Jameson

Jameson

A complete bastard

• Super DA Mod
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(black4966 @ Jun 24 2005, 10:45 AM)
Well, I was perusing the front page of the Austin American Statesman this morning, and what the fuck do I see right off the bat...

Slow news day... You'd think the Spurs might have knocked that off the front page, of all days...

#4 black4966

black4966

Yes oh yes my name is Willy Lee

• Esteemed Post Whore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

Slow news day... You'd think the Spurs might have knocked that off the front page, of all days...

No kidding.  Actually had an 8X8 or so Spurs photo in the middle, the Perry story was above the fold, but all the Spurs coverage was in the sports section...

#5 steeler dennis

steeler dennis

sick of it all

• Esteemed Post Whore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

[lay king] do you like the greasy [/lay king]

adios, mofo!   :lol:

#6 klanzotheklown

klanzotheklown

How Bout Drum

• Esteemed Post Whore
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:58 AM

Quite the fake story there... still a little funny though.  Hopefully the "reporter" will be dragged behind a truck or something.

#7 Eilert Pilarm

Eilert Pilarm

The Seldom Seen Kid

• Super Mod Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,391 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

Kelly Fero, an Austin-based Democratic strategist, has already jumped Perry's claim, plunking down $35 for the domain rights to adiosmofo.com. Much to the governor's chagrin, Fero once owned rickperry.com.

kelly fero...hm is she or he related to failed virginia congressional candidate john stevens??