WHAT WAS THE GREATEST DON AND MIKE BIT EVER?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 wavazoo

wavazoo

Not Supposed to Be Here Today

• Clearly Has No Life
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 05:38 PM

1. The many times Don has gone thru his resume.

2. 1997 BobCat Goldtwait visits WAVA

3. 1997 Larry King surprise visit

4. Any Liddy bit with Mike

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Just Checking In

Posted 27 February 2002 - 09:44 PM

anything with naked chicks.  that's always fresh and new.  radio nudity rules.  cause they're naked, on the radio.

fantasitc.

#3 Jameson

Jameson

A complete bastard

• Super DA Mod
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 11:16 PM

The greatest D&M bit was four hours long - it was called "The Backwards Show".

As far as regular bits are concerned: when they goofed on Rigdon Dees and his show on Z104; when they dogged Chris Core claiming he had higher ratings than D&M "in Montgomery County"; and anytime they rag on The Greaseman (esp. when they played the audio from his infomercial when he was Dr. Chip Bandwidth - which reminds me, anyone ever seen my avatar?).

#4 Labonte18

Labonte18

The Final Winston Cup Race Winner

• Super DA Mod
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 12:22 AM

I liked the Albuquerque thing... Where they called the woman in the Texas(?) town that wanted to make Spanish the official language and all that crap, which wound up getting them kicked off the station in NM... The best part of it was when they read the on-air apology.. All that was missing from that was what probably really happened, that we didn't get to hear, and that was Robbay screaming WHOOOOOOOOORE! at the end... Hey, speaking of favorite bits... Robbay screaming WHOOOOOOORE! Haven't heard that in a while.

What about the guy who had the seizure on Low Budget Jeopardy?

Honk for cash is funny because it pisses them off so much.

And Cell-Phone Olympics, or whatever it is where people destroy their cell phones, because they get scammed so much during it... "Gotcha again...Jackass!"

#5 Too-Da-Loo Ass

Too-Da-Loo Ass

....and this little piggy.....

• Super Mod Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 11:34 AM

Dialing for Transvestites with Robbay - Always great.

Phone-Ho Theater - Even better when they used the Frankenstein tapes, but Larry King or Bob Barker tapes were great too.

but one of the best all time D&M shows was when Mike got into Regis Phillbin's VM at a hotel that he was staying in and they played all of his messages over the air.  This was a couple of years ago, and the boys got into big trouble.

#6 Guest_The_G-Man_*

Guest_The_G-Man_*
  • Just Checking In

Posted 28 February 2002 - 02:26 PM

Does anyone remember a contest they had maybe 8 years ago called the "Marshmallow Race"?  I didn't hear the original broadcast but did hear it on the best of maybe 6-7 years ago.  Shari Liquor was the traffic girl and Diana Sillman was the producer.

The premise of this "Race" was to have 2 contestants run down the studio hallway with a marshmallow inserted between their 2 "pillows".  I believe the winners advanced to compete in the finals for a cash prize.  But contestants were able to earn additional cash for eating their "used" marshmallow after they raced!  Contestants were able to earn even more $$$ if they ate their opponents marshmallow.  D & M would pay more money for the marshmallows in less than edible conditions.

The funniest part was a 5 or 6 year old Bart calling in wanting to play the game so he can win some money, too.  Daddy Don refused to have his son participate and Bart burst into tears over the phone.  Hillarious!

It was like a car wreck, it was disturbing but couldn't pry your eyes from it as you drive by.

This is truely the funniest bit I have ever heard on any radio show and has never been topped, IMO.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Just Checking In

Posted 01 March 2002 - 12:38 AM

The backwards show was an ABORTION.  D&M even admitted as much on the air.  The Albuquerque thing was outstanding.  A town that, by law, speaks only spanish was a D&M classic waiting to happen.  I liked the bits where D&M would take people off the air and listen to them converse.  But that was before they got sued.  Also the Dialing Transvestites bit was much funnier before they had to mention they were on the air.

These days I look forward to the phone calls.  The new krazy kooky kontests just don't do it for me.  D&M have had some hilarious callers over the years.  I wish they'd take more calls.

#8 Ken's Chode

Ken's Chode

Ready to answer the hot number

• Super Mod Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 01:06 AM

I agree.  My favorite thing about D & M is that they take so many phone calls.  It could get dangerous very soon, however, if a DM vs. OA war begins.  It would be no fun to hear boring "DM suck" rants every other caller.

#9 Too-Da-Loo Ass

Too-Da-Loo Ass

....and this little piggy.....

• Super Mod Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 10:21 AM

It could get dangerous very soon, however, if a DM vs. OA war begins.  

There will be no war......  The smart thing for D&M to do is to take the high road and ignore the whole thing.  I understand that this is not what the listeneres want (including myself, as I always love a good war), but as Don said himself, "O&A are the flavor of the month" and "Eagles don't attack flys"

This will be frustrating for Don to do, but I think that he really needs to just gloss right over the O&A stuff and don't even mention it.

#10 Ken's Chode

Ken's Chode

Ready to answer the hot number

• Super Mod Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 02:06 PM

Agreed.  The best route to take is to not take the bait that O&A are dangling.  Also, they still work for the same company and a war would be plain stupid from a business standpoint.  One last thing:  O&A are NOT the "flavor of the month."  In fact, you might say that they have won the war, because they got drive time.  D&M were forced to move to middays to remain live and have a chance to expand into new markets.  Don't get me wrong, I love the DM show.  I liked O&A too, before syndication when they were pretty fresh.  A radio war would get pretty tiring and unfunny after a while.

lets stay on topic Please!

#11 Jameson

Jameson

A complete bastard

• Super DA Mod
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 02 March 2002 - 01:01 AM

Too-Da-Loo Ass, on Feb. 27 2002,11:33, said:

Phone-Ho Theater - Even better when they used the Frankenstein tapes, but Larry King or Bob Barker tapes were great too.
The people that put together Friday's best-of must be reading this forum... the first bit was PHT with Blaze and Major Bill Smith.

#12 Labonte18

Labonte18

The Final Winston Cup Race Winner

• Super DA Mod
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 12:19 AM

Damn... I forgot two GREAT "bits" that haven't been heard in quite a while...

#1 - "MY NAME IS LARRY WILLIAMS!" "I got a good d!ck, I got a d!ck made of solid gold!"

The entire tape is absolutely hilarious... It's about 10 minutes long and drop dead funny.

#2 - Don Geronimo, Civil War Surgeon. "With his black leather bag and stovepipe hat... He LIKES to make housecalls!"

Here's a couple more...

#3 - ANY episode of the Mike and Rob show. This only because you can tell that Mike is SO uncomfortable without Don there. I would bring Buzz in from his cave to sit with Mike... I think Mike does a good job without Don, not perfect, but credible... With Buzz taking a lead, I think things would be better.. besides, I like Rob in the background.

#4 - Anytime that they manage to fluster Buzz. It doesn't happen much, but like with the Wendy's thing and Carrot Top a while back... That was funny.

#5 - Birthday Spankings... HEY! What happened to these? Ladies... call for your spanking TODAY!

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Just Checking In

Posted 06 March 2002 - 09:41 AM

The recent Dialing for Phone Hoes with Buzz ("I'm through with you, you stupid bitch") was an instant classic.  Always enjoyed it with Rob, but something about Buzz's nice-guy attitude and polished newscaster voice just made it even more hilarious.

Low Budget Jeopardy is usually good, but there are some guests that are approaching retirement (or at least an extended hiatus, like Uncle Cartoon)... Ah-nuld springs immediately to mind.

Always love the Greaseman bashing, and the Stern bashing when they were allowed to do it.  (Until the infamous "don't talk about MAY.")  I've never even heard Jack Diamond (and I'm a DC-area listener; I just don't listen to music radio), but those bits are almost always great too.  I can definitely see how certain things seem a little too local for the rest of the country (Mike Landis, f'rinstance), but every major market has some phony Jack Diamond, so I think most people can relate to that.

The first time they did the Baltimore accents got a big laugh out of me, but that might also seem a little too local for some.

Christ, I could go on for days... I'm surprised no one's mentioned Baby Molly yet.  Is it me, or have they really been on a roll lately?  I realize that, despite being a member of the 4 Year Club, most of my fondest D&M memories have come from the last few months.

Okay, gotta go.  Toodle-oo, asses. :)

#14 Neutrino

Neutrino

Grand Marshall of the Retard Parade

• Not Supposed to Be Here Today
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 09:42 AM

A number of years ago, (8 or 9,) they did lawnmower races over the radio. I don't remember the details, but I do remember it being one of the funniest things I've EVER heard.

Another good one they used to do was picking people with funny names out of the phone book and calling them. (Harry Rash comes to mind immediately.)

I'm sure if I thought about it longer, I could come up with dozens of old bits, but those are the two that have always stood out in my mind.  
imwithstupid

#15 Guest_Debaser_*

Guest_Debaser_*
  • Just Checking In

Posted 06 March 2002 - 03:49 PM

the best bit ever was they started acting like mike's second marriage was disentigrating.

oh wait...that's not funny...